Saturday, March 28, 2015

SED 407 Reading Response: Daniels & Zemelman ‘Subjects Matter’ Chapters 9 & 10

D&Z present two more excellent structures for learning in these chapters: content-area book clubs and inquiry units. I definitely see the benefits of both and plan to use them in my future classes – but before I get into the details, a note on time. As I was reading, I made a mental note that I wanted to avoid going down the “These strategies are great but there’s no time for them due to curriculum demands and high-stakes testing!” path. I am a pre-service teacher with little understanding yet of how I will experience time in my future classroom, but there is definitely a gremlin in the back of my head screaming about how I won’t be able to teach the way I want to teach, the way I believe is good teaching. It’s easy to get stuck on the idea – but what a terrible starting place. I believe that in order to meet my responsibilities as a teacher and provide meaningful learning experiences for my students, I must make time for strategies such as book clubs and inquiry units. As D&Z say, “the effect [of such strategies] on students’ approach to learning and reading is just too large and too important” to not be doing such projects. To return to my response to chapter 6, making time for meaningful experiences means to “do less better”, to prioritize the curriculum in order to go deeper into fewer topics. (It’s interesting that D&Z note that this is what the NGSS suggest … the NGSS seem a bit overwhelming in terms of how much they cover – but they do emphasize cross cutting concepts and scientific practices…) Again, the idea is to engage students in real learning, to help them connect to the content and build transferable literacy skills – while a strategy such as a book club may not be teaching to the test, I think the benefits should carry over into test results. And anyway, as D&Z note the Common Core and NGSS are “desperately pleading” for students to be doing this kind of work (although maybe the tests are still not testing for it). So, don’t worry about time, just teach well.

We have looked at the use of content-area book clubs or literature circles in MLED 330 this semester and I am definitely sold on the idea. In science, I can see using literature circles with challenging primary source texts, biographies of scientists or historical texts about important scientific discoveries, and content-relevant fiction (such as the two books I read in my MLED 330 literature circles: The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages and The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly). I did a quick Google search for “literature circles in science classes” and found that there are many teachers doing this and sharing resources and lesson plans. This teacher blends the structure of a literature circle with the process of keeping a scientific notebook. Some of the roles given to students in this strategy are similar to traditional literature circle roles, but others are tailored to scientific literacy, such as the Inquiry Organizer whose role is to provide prompts for each part of the notebook (such as the hypothesis, materials, procedure, etc). As this other science teacher using literature circles says, “As adults, we know that scientists read all the time. In fact, scientific journals are the major way that scientific knowledge is spread. It is important for students to learn to read and interpret scientific knowledge as well. Literature circles are one relatively simple way to help students learn to read challenging articles and advance their scientific knowledge and excitement about the topic.” I appreciate this quote because I don’t think people realize that reading – and talking to other scientists about what you’ve read – is a huge part of science. Even if all my students don’t become scientists (I’ve almost accepted the fact that not all of them will ;)), I want my students to be scientifically literate citizens, to be able to read about science in the news, to have discussions with their family and friends about scientific issues, and to make scientifically informed decisions in the voting booth.

A few points that D&Z make about literature circles stick out for me. Role sheets should be used as “brief initial training” – the idea is that students are practicing specific strategies used by good readers individually so that ultimately they will be able to apply all these strategies more naturally when they read. D&Z point out that if role sheets are overused they “can swiftly morph into stultifying and mechanical make-work”, counteracting one of the greatest benefits of book circles, the development of a love of reading. I also really appreciate the guidance D&Z give on assessment of literature circles (most of which can be applied to inquiry projects too). I especially like the four part essay they describe on page 253 that asks students to reflect on the process as well as demonstrate knowledge they gained from the book – compared to a traditional book report, this essay is so much more valuable. I also really like the observation sheet they suggest teachers use as they observe students at work in their literature circles – I see the value of assessing students through such observations, but it’s good to have something to structure and document those observations.

I am a little confused by the concept of “backmapping” which D&Z discuss early on in chapter 10. It’s interesting incomparison to UbD – it almost seems like the opposite. With UbD, you begin with your desired results and then plan specific activities that will get you there. With backmapping, using the example D&Z use in the book, a project is planned and then the teacher works backwards to assign the standards the project addresses. Of course, this is only the opposite of UbD if you totally equate learning objectives with standards. In planning her inquiry project and all the activities that would be a part of it, the teacher used in the example likely started with her objectives and planned activities to meet them. I understand that standards are not the same as objectives, but there should be a relationship between the two, correct? Wouldn’t it be good to have an idea of the standards you want to address in mind as you are planning lessons? (Though the standards certainly should not limit your objectives.) I guess I am just confused as to what benefit D&Z see in backmapping. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jenna,

    You are right about backmapping and standards not being objectives. The teacher in the example has objectives, but does not look at the standards. Her objectives and desire to create a meaningful, real-world applicable unit determine how the lesson goes, not standards. What I think D & Z are getting at here is, "You do not have to pay attention to standards when creating lessons as, if they are good, they will fulfill the standards anyway."

    I like what you said about not worrying about time. Time is something I am always thinking about with these lesson ideas and it makes things difficult. I hope I can be creative enough to come up with engaging lessons that cover large topics in a timely but in-depth way. I am just glad there are not as stringent standards for history/social studies as the other areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna,

    I can totally see you putting together a creative book club activity in science class! I don't remember ever using literature in science her than the text. Labs were the sole source of enjoyment for me and they were rare! I think incorporating stories, like the ones you speak of from your MLED class will make science more intriguing for those students, like myself, who are apprehensive to "science" because we think it is "hard." I remember becoming intrigued with chemistry when our science teacher was explaining electricity and heat, in terms of a CHI hair straightener. I woke up out of my daze because it was something I used everyday. All of a sudden I cared about that lesson - imagine how much more I would've paid attention if an interesting book was incorporated to a unit!

    I was also confused by the idea of backmapping but I think NCTeach got it right in regards to "fulfilling the standards anyway," especially for more veteran teachers who have experience with these lessons and strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,
    I totally thought the same thing when I saw that the NGSS "desperately plead for students to be given opportunities to ask important questions, read a variety of real-world materials, think critically, and inquire more deeply into specific topics, rather that skim lightly over endless parades of fact." I thought that was really interesting because their standards are literally so specific and overwhelming. I already know I wouldn't like to teach to the test, but I wonder if those that do have ever heard of this!

    It is nice to see that you were able to find other science teachers who have implemented this strategy of reading circles in their classrooms. I agree that it can help students through those difficult science articles, biographies, etc. I mean how many time have we struggled with scientific writing? Too many to count...

    I agree with D&Z... I think role sheets should be used sparingly. I liked the idea of back-mapping it reminded me of teachers who do NOT teach to the test. They make their lesson and see what standards happen to fit. I think this is clever... Why restrict your teaching because of standards? I think you can find a way to fit them in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenna, I like your acknowledgement of the gremlin! Ideas that trap us in teaching ruts should be avoided, especially at the beginning of our careers. I’m also interested in your observation about backmapping and UbD. My first impression of it is that she’s unnecessarily separated the standards from her objectives. It seems like she may have used UbD principles for the project, but intentionally avoided thinking about the standards when designing her objectives and essential questions. I find the standards to be fairly appropriate, but I guess some teachers have fears of tailoring their projects too much to them. I agree with you, and I think there is little reason to ignore the standards. If you do enough projects, you can avoid stuffing standards into places that they don’t naturally fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna, I think using the book club activity in a science classroom would be a great idea. Although it could frustrate some students who love doing experiments and hate reading. I think that time is a big issue, especially in your content area as they relate to the CCSS. But I think what you could do to fix that is read through possible books and have the students read just a chapter or two and do mini book clubs as they relate to whatever you are going over. If its possible you could even have different groups read a section of the book and do small discussion one day and then a class discussion the next finishing in two class periods.

    ReplyDelete